#CultureTakeAction – Arts and Culture declare a Climate and Ecological Emergency
A growing international movement of individuals and organisations in the cultural sector are declaring climate and ecological emergency. Culture Declares Emergency means telling the truth, taking action and seeking justice.
“We invite Culture sector workers to join us in declaring emergency, and to make work and action plans that reach beyond COP26 to stir radical imagination and systemic change.”
Statement from Culture Declares Emergency on COP26
October 7, 2021
- We are a growing movement of individuals and organisations in the Culture sector who have declared a climate and ecological emergency.
- COP26 is based on the Paris Agreement, which offers an inadequate trajectory to stabilise the climate. Most nations, including our host nation, are not even on course to keep to the Paris Agreement path.
- The worsening Earth crisis, both ecological damage and climate impacts, is shocking scientists and causing suffering, particularly for Most Affected Peoples and Areas.
- In light of these failures in the face of the worsening Earth crisis, we make two urgent calls to politicians and policy-makers, and to the Culture sector.
- We draw attention to the role of Culture: we invite politicians/policy-makers to collaborate with the Cultural sector to stimulate imagination, to generate ideas for innovation and to engage with communities.
- We invite Culture sector workers to join us in declaring emergency, and to make work and action plans that reach beyond COP26 to stir radical imagination and systemic change.
How to join Culture Declares Emergency
- Join the public list of declarers, whether you are an individual or on behalf of an organisation
- Create a statement about why you’ve declared and what you plan to do – simply a sentence or a fuller plan
- Put a kitemark on your website or email, and use it when you announce your declarationSpread the word and invite others to declare too.
- Use hashtags #CultureDeclaresEmergency and #CultureTakesAction
- Get active in your organisation, network or local area to set goals and share learning
- Get more involved with by forming a local Culture Declares group, join a Working Group, or take part in our Actions & Events.
Find out more about Culture Declares Emergency HERE
Did you find this resource useful?
As a registered charity we are only able to continue to provide the information and resources found on this site if we continue to receive charitable donations and grants. If you found this resource useful, then please consider donating.Donate